Russia is famous for its incredible mountains, beaches, villages, volcanoes, and glaciers, all of which make it one of the most stunning countries in the world. It is also home to some amazing works of art, spectacular places and grand cities, the charm of which has inspired many writers and poets for centuries. However, the beauty of this country is often overlooked because of inconsistent advertising, lack of a proper plan, and low budget spent for the development and maintenance of these places.
Of late, tourists from different parts of the world have shown a keen interest in visiting Russia and have started exploring its incredibly rich heritage. Accommodation is a vital part of any trip. A safe and comfortable accommodation can make your stay a memorable one, while improper accommodation can ruin it completely. When it comes to Russia, you will come across both excellent accommodations and also the horrible ones. Therefore, it is recommended to research the types of available accommodations before you plan a trip to Russia. Let’s have a look.
Types of Accommodation in Russia
There are mainly three main types of accommodation options available in Russia, and you can choose the best one depending upon your need and budget:
- Hotels – Russia has many internationally well-known hotel chains as well as some excellent local hotels that are not a part of any chain. Most of the grand hotels are located in downtown areas and distributed in the cities of Moscow, St. Petersburg and Sochi.
Some hotels in the center of Moscow are listed below:
- Hotel Sadovnicheskaya – This is a beautiful five-star hotel located in the heart of Moscow. Here you can get the best of services, the best rooms, and a sophisticated environment.
- Villa Kadashi Boutique Hotel – This hotel defines the true meaning of luxury and class. With high profile services, all the rooms are extremely well furnished with all the necessary amenities.
Budget Friendly Hotels
- Kitay Gorod Hotel – This cozy hotel is located right in the heart of Moscow. The prices are very reasonable and the rooms neat and tidy.
- Tourist Apartments – Just like all the major cities across the globe, tourist apartments have made their way into Russia as well in the recent years. Whether you are traveling with a group of friends or family, you can enjoy an extended stay in Russia by staying in a tourist apartment. These are well-equipped apartments often situated near the city center. In many cases, they are old buildings that are renovated into tourist apartments. Because of this, the exterior of these buildings is worn out and damaged, but the interiors are renovated, due to which they are pretty good and hygienic.
- Hostels – Hostels are the best option to stay for youngsters, like students or the people who are solo travelers. Usually, bunk beds with shared washrooms are provided in such hostels. They are situated in suitable locations and some of them are praised a lot by their guests. Hostels are very affordable and safe as well.
What to Keep in Mind while Choosing Your Accommodation in Russia?
Location and Easy Access to Public Transportation – Whenever you visit any place, it is good to choose your accommodation in a central area which has all the basic amenities. For instance, if you are going to Moscow, you should stay in the nearby area within the first ring of Moscow which is near the subway station. There, you will have the provision of having a metro nearby or take thirty minutes to walk to the Red Square. If you are staying in St. Petersburg stay near the Hermitage Museum or Nevsky Avenue, from where you can easily access most of the tourist attractions even on foot. Therefore, choose a hotel which is easily connected with public transport system of Russia.
- Price – Everyone has a different budget and luxury requirements. The more luxury you want, the more you will need to pay. Hence, before making a booking, do compare the prices with regard to the types of services offered. Remember, staying close to the city during the summertime is going to be a costly affair, but that would save a lot on your transport related expenses.
- Free Cancellation – Always go for the bookings that allow free cancellation until some time shortly before arrival. Advance trips might get canceled for something or the other, and if you make a last minute cancellation, the hotel may not refund your entire amount. So, why take a chance with your hard-earned money? But do keep in mind the fact that reservations that provide free cancellations tend to be more expensive.
There is a wide range of options to choose from while looking for accommodation in Russia. Be it the international or local chain of hotels, tourist apartments or hostels, make your choice depending upon your budget, age, number of people, luxury level required, and other personal preferences.
Other things to Consider while Traveling to Russia
In the end, there are a few other things that you should know before you land in Russia:
- First and foremost, check if you are required to get a Visa. All tourists belonging to countries other than Russia have to get a Visa before arrival.
- Travelers who are coming by sea have the luxury of 72-hour visa-free stay in Russia with terms and conditions.
- Try to learn some common Russian phrases that you might have to use while you stay in Russia, as Russian people don’t like to speak in English much.
- To save money on your stay, use public transport as much as possible. But before that, research well about the public transport of the area in which you will stay. Try to get an English map of transport.
- Don’t miss out on the announcements made in stations, as most of them are in Russian. So, pay close attention to know the name of the place or the stations.
- Pack your clothes according to the time of the year and the weather. Generally, Russia is a cold country, but it gets hot and humid during the summer.
- Do not drink tap water, as the tap water may not be safe to drink at all places.
- Respect the local traditions and customs.
- And last but not the least, get your currency exchanged in advance to avoid any unwanted hassle.
Before booking any of the above-mentioned accommodation options, do look for their websites on the internet. If you find one, go through the ratings, reviews and other comments from their previous guests. In this way, you can surely find the best possible accommodation in Russia for yourself or your family and friends.